Saturday, March 15, 2008

Finally! A decent GF bread.

Since we've gone GF we have been searching for a decent bread. We've bought them, we've made them .... and we've gagged over them. This is part of my own personal problem with GF. I cannot stand to live without bread. And the bread that is GF is disgusting. I LOVE the tinkyada pasta, so I'm okay with that, but the bread ... yick.

My MIL made Adrian some gf bread and sent it home with us. I tried it and was surprised that it was actually tasty! Hardly any grit at all. Tasty and moist and airy ... all really good! So I begged her for the recipe. LOL, get this ... it is the recipe on the back of the Hodgson Mill brown rice flour box. Too cool, eh? She just omitted the regular flour it calls for and added more brown rice flour.

I've made bread with a recipe similar to this but people always want to complicate it with a special flour blend of like 4 flours. That doesn't work for me too well because I don't like a lot of the flours. Fava bean flour makes you gassy. Soy flour tastes like the nastiest ever.

Here is the recipe with my own little change in it to fit what I have on hand. I made it tonight and it turned out great. Not super gritty. Just a little on the crust. Perfect for buttered bread, toast, etc. I don't think I'd suggest it for sandwich bread, though.

2 cups Hodgson Mill Brown Rice Flour (I really recommend this one because it is finely ground ... and SUPER cheap too!)
2 TBSP Baking Powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup tapioca flour
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup milk
2 TBSP vegetable oil
2 TBSP honey

Mix dry ingredients and liquid ingredients seperately; then combine. Pour into oiled and floured 9x5 loaf pan; bake for 50 minutes at 350' F. Cool complete in pan.

TASTY! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment