Thursday, April 23, 2009

Elmo Hat (Pattern)

Here is my son getting ready to go to the Elmo Live concert with his new Elmo hat!

MC: Red
OC1: Orange
OC2: White
Minuscule amount of black yarn

Darning Needle
Hooks: K, I

Stitches:
Magic Adjustable Ring
TC: Treble Crochet
DC: Double Crochet
HDC: Half Double Crochet
HHDC: Herringbone Half Double Crochet
SC: Single Crochet



**There was an error in the pattern.  I have now fixed it - as of May of 2011**

Hat:

With MC with K hook
DC 8 into magic ring,  sl st into top of ch 3 (8)
Row 1: Chain 2, 2 DC in same stitch.  (by this I mean right into the bottom of where the ch2 comes from ... where you had slip stitched into at the end of the row) 2DC in each DC around. Slip stitch into first dc (16)
Row 2: Chain 2, DC in the same stitch. (1 DC in next stitch, 2 DC in next stich.) Repeat around. Slip stitch into first dc (24)
Row 3: Chain 2, DC in the same stitch. (1 DC in next 2 stitches, 2 DC in next stich.) Repeat around.Slip stitch into first dc (32)
Row 4: Chain 2, DC in the same stitch. (1 DC in next 3 stitches, 2 DC in next stich.) Repeat around.Slip stitch into first dc  (40)
Row 5: Chain 2, DC in the same stitch. (1 DC in next 4 stitches, 2 DC in next stich.) Repeat around. Slip stitch into first dc (48)
Rows 6-9: Chain 2, DC in the same stitch. 1DC in each stitch around. Slip stitch into first dc. (48)
Row 10: Chain 2. HHDC in same stitch. 1 HHDC in each stitch around. Slip stitch into first HHDC. (48)
Row 11: Chain 1. SC in same stitch. 1 SC in each stitch around. Slip stitch in CH1. FO.

Nose: OC1 with I hook
HDC 8 on a magic adjustable ring
This is done amigurumi style, so there is no slip stitching and chaining to start a row. Spiral like.
Row 1: 2 SC in each HDC around (16)
Row 2: 1 HC & 1 DC in next stitch. 2 DC in next stitch. FO (leave long tail to sew onto hat later.)

Eyes: (make 2)
Black yarn with I hook
SC 8 on a magic adjustable ring.  Slip stitch into first sc. - change color to OC2 (white) here.

Row 1: Chain 2. HDC in same stitch. 2 HDC in each HDC around (16) Slip stitch into 2nd chain of the CH2.
Row 2: Chain 1. *2SC in next stitch, 1SC in next stitch* - Repeat from * to * around.
FO Leave long tail to sew to hat.

Now assemble the hat to look like Elmo. Use a darning needle to sew the eyes and nose to the hat.

Hey! Skip the nose and change the colors up a bit and create some other Sesame St characters!

Make some wonky eyes and you have Cookie Monster!

Add some fun fur yarn and make some brows for Oscar!

Add some fun fur for hair, a couple small ears, and change the eyes and nose up a bit and you have Abby Cadaby!


Here is another of my sons wearing his Oscar hat at Sesame St Live!



This pattern is copyrighted by Catrina Usher.  You have permission to use this pattern to make items to sell, but do NOT sell this PATTERN as your own.  Thank you.


Photobucket

11 comments:

  1. I could just HUG you for posting this! My friend's little girl LIVES Elmo! I am making her a backpack with an Elmo face and this will be the perfect item to complete the set! Thank you SO much!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rofl I Love that, I need to make me one lol.
    Thak you for the pics and tut :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made this hat last night while watching tv. It was super easy and my son loves it! Now I have to make another for my daughter. Thanks for the pattern it is great!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Late to the party, but I love this hat!!!! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so thankful to have found this pattern on Ravelry! Thanks a million for making it available. I made a couple of adapted versions, and passed your pattern link onto someone else who wants to make one because I think you did an awesome job on this! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's really cute! I just posted a couple of painted SS hats, so I linked to yours so my readers could come and see :) http://www.craftsbyamanda.com/2010/07/cookie-monster-and-elmo-hats.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I believe that the errors that were in the pattern have now been fixed. So sorry for the confusion! :)
    xoxo
    Cat

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the cookie monster one! So cute!! I am visiting from Mine for the Making and I am a new follower!!! Hope to see you around my Delicately Constructed linky party this weekend!
    Have a great day!
    Michelle
    www.delicateconstruction.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete