Friday, May 7, 2010

Prayer Shawl for a special family

We were at my mother-in-law's house and she was telling us about some really sad medical news for her friend's family.  Her friend's son (in his early 40's), had ended up in the hospital with heart failure.  They had tried different things for him, but ended up settling on a portable heart pump for him.  He's had many issues with it.  Prayers for him would be greatly appreciated.  His entire life really changed in the blink of an eye ... or a beat of his heart. 
I really felt for this family and wanted to do something.  Nick and I ran to the store and I bought some super soft yarn and I whipped up a pretty basic, but comforting prayer shawl for him or his mom to use while he was in the hospital.  I'd never made one before, so I went with a basic pattern.  The pictures aren't great of it (ugh... blackberries take awful pics), but you get the idea.
I'm told that they loved it and use it often. I'm so glad!

3 comments:

  1. totally love it!!! what a great gesture!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Prayer Shawl is a miracles piece of love. This time, last year, my sister's cancer returned after 28 years. Except now she had stage IV lung cancer. We were all devasted. I made her a prayer shawl to keep her warm and comfort her (as I couldn't be by her side) while she had intense chemo therapy). She, to this day, still goes to chemo and uses her prayer shawl.I had never heard of a prayer shawl until last year. The power of prayer works in many different ways. I will keep your family friend in my prayers.


    Hugs & smoochies!! XOXO
    Hailey's Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, both of you. And Hailey's mom, I'm so sorry to hear about your sister. I will keep her in my prayers. You are right, the power of prayer is mighty and powerful! *hugs*

    ReplyDelete