Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Turkey Place Markers


The kids and I did a turkey craft tonight and I'd love to share it with you! :)

Materials needed:
construction paper
markers/crayons
glitter
scissors
glue stick

I first started out asking the boys what color construction paper they'd like.  Once I gave them all their favorites, I gave them crayons and glue sticks.  I told them to color their paper all up.  Use the glue stick to make cool designs on the paper, and then I helped them sprinkle glitter all over the glue.  When they were done, I had four really colorful pieces of paper!  I folded all of the papers (like an accordion) and then cut a big feather out of each one.  This gave me 4 feathers from each paper. 

 
At this point each child could keep their four feathers from their paper, or like our boys, we shared a feather with each person!

I then used a template like this one below to cut out a turkey from a new piece of construction paper.  Just fold a paper in half and then cut out a design similar to this one.

Once I had cut the turkey out, I gave them to the boys to add beaks, wattles, eyes and any decorations to the turkey they want.  They can also write their name on the front of the turkey at this time if you are going to use it as a place marker for a Thanksgiving party!


I then helped the boys glue the feathers on the back of the turkey, and bring the base of the turkey around and glue that together as well.  The turkeys can now stand up on their own.  The circle that the base makes fits a glass, bottle of water, sippy cup or whatever type of drink you want!

No comments:

Post a Comment