Sunday, July 10, 2011

The White Man

We went to visit my grandmother and grandfather over the weekend.  On our way there we drove through the reservation in Salamanca, NY.  I grew up about 10 minutes from there, and worked on the reservation while in highschool.  So while we were driving through, I was pointing out different things to the boys.
One of the kids asked what a reservation was, and I tried to explain it all to them.  It was something along the lines of "the white man's" government forcing all of the Native American's into small areas of land.  So we talked about how mean that was, etc.
Adrian (5) goes to me "The white men are big MEANIES!"
I go "You do realize, you are a white man, right?"
He looks down at his arm, then up at me.  Then down at his arm, then up at me.  His eyes are HUGE and he goes, "I am?????"

LOL, I had to laugh so hard.  It makes me feel good that my children don't see in colors.  We're all just people.  I hope that that continues forever into their lives.

My little Adrian with his big, beautiful eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment