Tuesday, July 9, 2013

The Death Of My Sister

A year ago, on July 9th, my little sister was killed in a car accident.  This has been the single most devastating thing that has ever happened in my life.  As wild and crazy as my sister could be, I never really thought I'd have to help my mother pick out a casket and her last dress.  I never thought I'd have to hold her sons as they cried over the loss of their mother.  Never.  It was horrible. 

This last year has been a long journey through grief.  I know I will never stop missing her.  Never stop missing her late night phone calls.  Her beautiful laugh.  Her gorgeous voice.  Her long pretty hair.  Some days are easier than others.  Some days I only think of her a few times, usually with a smile on my face.  Other times I think of her and my heart wrenches and I can't hold back the tears.

I wish she was here to see how much I have changed over this last year.  I wish we could enjoy the closeness that living in the same town would bring, since I ended up moving to her town after her death.  I wish my boys could ride their bikes over to "Aunt Sissy's" house and spend time with her.

Ahhh .... those wishes are what get me every time.


No comments:

Post a Comment